Thursday, February 12, 2009

From San Francisco

I'm still alive!
Here writing this from San Francisco, California. I'm doing a semester as a guest student at the wonderful California College of the Arts, trying to soak up some of the immensely successful product design that happens here in the Bay Area. So far, so good.

Fist of all: This is no vacation. Most kids take a semester abroad to have fun, live a little, drink a little more, you know. There's nothing wrong with that, I certainly envy them, but the point is that this is not one of those semesters. I came here to sort of get the best of both worlds; engage with some real product designers (sorry detroit, its just not happening) and to enjoy life in a decent city. I really like it, at this point I dont quite know if I'm cut out to work here, but its an amazing environment nevertheless.

Setting up for a crit:

My new desk:


Our project in studio is "Package as Product" In other words, take a traditional packaging technique/material and apply it to a durable product in a clever way. This is the sort of project I always dreamed of back in Detroit, but its kicking my ass. To get things moving, we were assigned 100 quick paper explorations for the first 3 weeks. We just finished those yesterday and I'd like to talk more about it, but I'm still solidifying my um...trajectory. I'll have something cool to show you, eventually.

Some of those delicious models:


The city:


No comments:

Followers